Vendaka Theeyal | Bhindi in Coconut Gravy Recipe | Kerala Style
- 500 gms Lady's finger chopped
- 15 Pearl onions (Sambar Onions), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Water, (adjust)
- Salt, to taste
Ingredients to be ground to paste:
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 2 Dry red chilies
- 2 Green chilies(Chopped)
- 2 cup Fresh coconut, grated
Ingredients for Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dry red chilies
How to Make Vendaka Theeyal | Bhindi in Coconut Gravy Recipe | Kerala Style
- Fry the Vendaka/Bhindi/Lady's Finger. You can either fry it in a kadhai/wok or in the microwave.
- In a small pan, dry roast the fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds along with red chilies until you can smell the roasted aroma. Then add freshly grated coconut and roast it in medium flame until golden brown. Once golden brown, remove it from flame and let it cool.
- Once this coconut roast masal cools down, add it into the mixer grinder, and blend it. You can add a little warm water to blend and make a smooth paste. This is the Theeyal Masala.
- Take a wok and heat it in medium flame. Add little oil. Add the mustard seeds, red chilies, and curry leaves, allow it to roast and crackle. Add tamarind, salt, and turmeric powder. Mix it well. Then add the theeyal masala to it. Mix it well. To this add the fried lady's finger/bhindi and mix it well. Add a little water to adjust the consistency of the Theeyal. Put the lid and let it boil for a few minutes. Adjust the salt and spice levels according to your taste.
- Turn off the flame, once Vendaka Theeyal has come to a boil.
- Transfer it to a bowl and serve this dish with Rice or Roti.
Vendaka Theeyal is normally a thick recipe. but you can make it a little thin depending in what you are taking this with. if you are having it with rice, make it thin. If you are having it with roti, you can keep it thick.
Please follow and like us: