Kerala Style Chicken Curry | Healthy Cooking
Me being from Kerala makes this dish very special. As a kid, I have grown up eating this every weekend. My mom used to prepare this and the entire home used to smell delicious. She used to make the masalas also at home. With our busy schedules, I don't think we have the time for making masalas(If you do, go for it), but I can definitely try to replicate it at the best.
- 1 Kg chicken medium cut
- 1 cup Coconut small pieces
- 3 finely chopped medium onions
- 4 finely chopped medium tomatoes
- a bunch of curry leaves
- 4-6 Green chilies
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp chicken masala
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
How to make Kerala Style Chicken Curry:
- Wash and clean 1 kg medium cut chicken pieces aside. Keep curry leaves, chopped onions, green chilies and chopped coconut ready.
- We start with first taking a kadhai/wok and putting oil. You can use coconut oil or ghee or even refined oil for the same. I prefer Ghee/coconut oil. Then put chopped coconut pieces into it. Saute the till brown. Keep stirring it, so that it doesn't get burnt.
- Once coconut turns brown, add chopped onions, curry leaves, and green chilies into the same. keep stirring the til onions turn soft and turn translucent.
- Once onions turn translucent, add 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste. keep stirring it till it turns golden brown.
- Post that, add chopped tomatoes into it with some salt. We add salt at this point so that the moisture in tomatoes release fast and they can turn mushy quickly.
- Once the tomatoes are mixed well, add the spices one by one. Put turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, chicken masala, and little garam masala. Cook and mix them well till you get a good aroma and turns brown.
- Into this masala, add chicken pieces and mix it well. Put little water, so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add salt, close the lid, cook it in medium flame and let chicken release water.
- After 10 min, open the lid. You will see that the chicken has released water. Now, cook chicken with open lid for few minutes till water evaporates.
- Then add more water into it. and close the lid. Let it cook for another 10 minutes or till the chicken is soft.
- After 10 mins, open the lid to see a cooked chicken with good aroma and a rich color gravy. You can sprinkle some more garam masala and black pepper. Adjust the spices and salt before taking it off the flame.
- Serve it with roti or rice or naan or even dosa.