Gajar Ka Halwa(Carrot Pudding)
Gajar Ka Halwa or carrot pudding is a traditional North Indian recipe and is very easy to prepare. It is an Indian dessert prepared mostly during winters(as red long carrots are available in winters). You can prepare this using regular orange carrot too, it tastes just perfect. This pudding or carrot halwa is made using ghee, milk and lots of nut. You can also use Khoya(condensed milk) to increase its density.
I remember, during my childhood, my Mom used to prepare this during winters. I usually got the task of grating almost 1 kg of carrots. I enjoyed eating it bot hot and cold. You can prepare and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also serve this with vanilla ice-cream. Let me know in the comment box if you have enjoyed making this 🙂
Gajar Halwa – 1 serving =353 Calories
Serving Size: 4
- 500 grams Carrots (Gajjar), grated
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee, (clarified butter)
- 750 ml Milk
- 1/4 cup Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 5 Badam (Almond), 10 Pista, Few Raisins
How to make Gajar Ka Halwa – Carrot Pudding
- Keep the ingredients ready i.e. grated carrots, Milk, Ghee, Cane sugar and nuts.
- Heat ghee in a wok kind of pan. Once the ghee is hot, add the grated carrots into it and saute it for few minutes until they become soft. This helps in giving a rich color to the carrots.
- Next, add the milk and let the carrot-milk mixture to come to a boil in a medium to high flame. Cook this mixture in a medium-low heat, until the milk evaporates. Keep stirring to avoid halwa sticking to the pan’s base. It will take approx 35-45 mins, so keep stirring.
- Add sugar when the entire milk has solidified. Then add cardamom and the nuts. Make sure you roast the nuts in a little Ghee and slice it into fine pieces. Mix this until the sugar and cardamom melts and mixes into the halwa.
- Now your Gajar Halwa is ready to be served. Serve it post lunch or dinner.